Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Still Thankful



For the past several years, I've made a Thanksgiving list of little and big things I'm grateful for. But not this year.

Not that I wasn't grateful, but there were bigger things going on in my life I was not all that thankful for that I had to deal with, which demoted my thanksgiving list to the bottom of the bigger 'to do' list.

But in this peaceful hour as the New Year begins, I reflect back on some of the little things that made me smile last year, and find myself hoping for new reasons to smile in 2014.

And realizing any day is a good day to be thankful, here is my short list:

Waking up in a rush for work, then remembering its Saturday. 

Finding the perfect little Christmas tree. Finding out its only $8- score! Businesses who sell Christmas trees for $8. The peaceful glow of a tiny tree with lights on it.

A neighbor who gives you an ingredient you are missing half way into your recipe. Having the time to cook just for the love of cooking, not because I got home late and I’m starving. Not actually knowing what real starving feels like. 

Frequent buyer reward programs.  A paid off credit card.  Celebrating Christmas by ‘being’ instead of buying.

Running friends who help me get my butt out the door on frigid winter days. Getting into a car made warm by the sun on a cold day.  My wildly diverse group of friends who teach me every day, viva la difference! 

People who put the food divider up for you at the grocery store. People who help seniors put their food on the counter. Helpers. Seniors. 

Little kids who want to go on the biggest roller coasters.  Seeing little faces light up when they meet the height requirement. A little hand grabbing yours because they want to sit with you on a ride. Little kids saying “I wuv you” (insert heart melting here).

People who are told they don’t have long to live, but live on. Appreciating every ‘bonus’ day of our lives. Beating the odds. Placing a 10-1 bet in Vegas in April for the Sox to win it all. Red Sox beards. World Series wins. Aspiring to world peace.  A piece of gold birthday cake with buttercream frosting from Coffee Time.

Familiar routines. New adventures. Doing. Learning. Exploring. 

Vacations that recharge you. Looking at vacation photos and videos that bring you back to that moment. Getting excited when I recognize places I’ve visited when I’m watching TV. Doing something new ‘just to say I did it’. 

Being strong enough to do push-ups and sit ups. Having the discipline to actually do them.  Strength of character.  All the great ‘characters’ I’ve met in my life.

Seasonal honey dipped cider crullers from ‘you know where’.

Strangers who make eye contact and say ‘good morning’ instead of staring at their smart phone.  Pleasant people. Being pleasantly surprised. 

People who ask if you need help when your car hood is up. Being able to say “no thanks” because I can check and fill my own oil.

Having access to a gym and showers at work. No excuses. Discovering I can catch up on reality TV on my kindle while running on the treadmill. Not having to talk Doug into watching Project Runway at home anymore- score! 

Fist pumping. High fiving. Not being left hanging like Tom Brady. 

New hopes. New dreams.

A new year.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful!

    Wishing that this year brings you many more moments that will sneak up on you next January...and make you thankful!

    ReplyDelete