Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Don't Bum Me Out





Does anyone say ‘bummer’ anymore, and who made up that word anyhow?  If you don’t know what it means, it refers to anything that really stinks, which may just be the origin of the word.

Here are a few things that bum me out:

A long day at work. A long commute home. A long, boring speech. Being the one who gave the long, boring speech. Boring meetings about nothing. Having nothing to do when I’m antsy. Have something to do when I’m exhausted.

Sour milk. A sour attitude, mine or anyone else’. Fruit rotting too fast. Fruit Flies. Time flying too fast by when you are having fun. Bad days that never end. Wondering if there really is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Being trapped in the tunnel.

A construction crew setting up outside the front door on a planned quiet day off.  An overnight snowstorm on a work day. Wearing crappy snow boots to work and forgetting my shoes. Wearing shoes to the gym and forgetting my sneakers. Going into a full blown panic attack looking for my wallet that I forgot was hanging off my wrist.

Going from free parking to paid parking at work. Dings and scratches on car from expensive parking lot. No change for the meter. Store right next to the meter with a sign WE DO NOT GIVE CHANGE FOR METER. Change for the sake of change. Crappy ‘groundhog day’ stuff that never seems to change.

Spilling coffee on a white shirt at the start of a work day. Ending up with an even bigger spot on my chest that looks like a bull’s eye or something worse caused from the expired stain cleaner. Finding out too late I had a suspicious brown stain on the bum of my white pants after sitting on a piece of chocolate in the morning. Realizing I walked around all day like that. Realizing what everyone thought was so funny that day.

Burning the roof of my mouth on hot pizza.  Choking after food goes down ‘the wrong pipe’. Choking when I need to excel. Popping out a swear word at an inappropriate time. An eyelash hair in my contact lens. Getting the hairy eyeball.

Strange sounds from my car engine at the start of a long road trip. Strange sounds from my stomach at the start of a long run. Water level comes up instead of going down when I flush. Strange computer messages that suggest my life is about to be erased, and for just a moment thinking that sounds like a great idea. Too many ideas at 3 a.m. Not enough ideas in the middle of the work day.

A dry cough at night that keeps everyone in the house up. A productive cough in the middle of a meeting. Not having a tissue when I seriously need one.

Staring at a blank page not knowing where to start. Starting something I can’t finish. Looking at a full page and throwing it away because it stinks. Having the person on treadmill next to me sniff loudly, look in my direction and move.

Awkward endings to a column.

No comments:

Post a Comment