Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Ruminations on Meditation




Onto Day 2 of my mediation challenge!

Or should I say Days 2-8 as I couldn’t find enough time to do the suggested one meditation a day, so I now have to cram seven at once, which I’m pretty sure is not recommended by Oprah. Or Deepak. Or anyone for that matter. 

But at least I haven’t quit. 

The total time of seven meditations is now over two hours long, 95% of which I expect to be music without words over a pretty nature photo. But thankfully, I notice that there are ‘cliff notes’ under each segment that encapsulate the theme which, I convince myself, is better than nothing.

Day 2: Empowered Me. The theme is ‘equanimity ‘, which this English major had to look up. As it turns out, it is a state of psychological stability and composure which is undisturbed by experience of or exposure to emotions, pain, or other phenomena that may cause others to lose the balance of their mind, otherwise known as ‘nearly impossible’. I move on to Day 3.

Day 3: Confident Me. The meditation is, are you feeling burnt out, distracted and disconnected from the world? I answer YES! and jump to Day 4. Not because I’m too lazy to see what the answer is, but because I’m starting to get the hang of this meditation thing; enough to know they never really give you an answer that doesn’t involved looking within yourself or asking the universe.  

Day 4: Refer to Day 3, as I’m now so distracted all I seem to grasp is something about two caterpillars turning into butterflies as I pour my 3rd cup of coffee and break into full blown hot flash.

On Day 5, I got fired from meditating. At least it seemed that way as I didn’t get my daily taunt, aka reminder, of my failed attempt to do this thing. I can’t lie, I was a little relieved. But I also wondered if Oprah is indeed so powerful she knew that I wasn’t taking it seriously and deleted me from her program.

On Day 8, I got flurry of emails for days 5-8 and was glad it seemed to be a computer glitch, nothing personal. Feeling a little bad about not concentrating more, I try to go back to the Day 4 mediation to see what I missed, but they have blocked access, because who in their right meditation mind would go back several days to cram? Geesh!

Days 6-8 are: Resilient Me, Fearless Me, and What Do I Want, which totally throw me off as they didn’t use the word “Me” in Day 8. I then begin to wonder why “Me” is so important to meditating in the first place, as it seems pretty selfish and suddenly…HELLO McFLY… I think I get it. 

It’s so simple really. 

In this fast paced blur of where we need to be, whom we need to be and what we need to do, it has become almost impossible to find a moment in the day to just breath, and remember who we are deep down in our core.  

We are all so different, but we are all “me” in our own way.

And ‘me’ thinks… no, ‘me’ KNOWS… that I’m not cut out for this meditation thing.

Namaste, my friends.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment