Thursday, July 4, 2013

Trying to be a Good Citizen



I’ve been called a lot of things in my life, some straight to my face and some behind my back, and some I’m probably glad I don’t know about.  

But I once got a compliment so unique and sincere, I never forgot it.

I was called a “good citizen”.

It came in the form of a thank you note from Jack Welch, retired CEO of General Electric. “Salem is lucky to have a good citizen like you” he hand wrote on his personal stationary, following a fundraising event for the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Salem several years ago.

Getting a personal note from Jack Welch was pretty awesome, but being called a “good citizen” was even more awesome.  So much so I framed it. So much so I made a copy and framed that one too, hanging it at work to remind me on bad days that one day I did something special.

Being a good citizen is something I never thought about, and something I’ve never been called before, which got me thinking about what it means.

There are some things you can be “good” at that are pretty straightforward, such as golfing or crossword puzzles. You either are or you aren’t. When it comes to being a good citizen, I think it means more than not breaking the law and recycling. Here are some things it means to me: 

Caring about our community; the whole community, not just your street or your neighborhood where you have self-interest. Understanding that our history is deeper than being the “Witch City”. Knowing they weren’t really witches.

Thinking unselfishly about the impact our current actions will have on future generations and being willing to take the ‘hit’ now to make a better tomorrow. Not getting grouchy when tourists hit you up for directions. Embracing tourism as a revenue stream for our community. Taking a tour yourself to see what the fuss is all about.

Shopping local, eating local, and investing local. Knowing where to find the crispiest bacon, the freshest pastry and the biggest selection of local brews. Appreciating the recent emergence of outdoor dining, and know that if you walk or run by you will usually see at least one person you know.


Being an educated voter. Voting; even the crappy elections that don’t seem to make a difference, just in case they do. Voting because you can.

Feeling a connection to where you live more than just a place you rest in between working. Silently thanking the donors who paid for the benches you take a rest on. Realizing the name on the plaque was someone who loved Salem too.

Saying hello to your neighbors, even if it’s just a nod. Knowing who your neighbors are. Knowing we are all neighbors.

Volunteering or donating to the hard working organizations that make our community stronger by helping those in need while understanding that any one of us are just a situation away from being in need ourselves.

Respecting and embracing the diversity that makes Salem the great community it is, from the blue haired youth to the blue collared professional, from the Salem State University students to Salem’s seniors. Realizing we are all so different because we have the freedom to express ourselves.

And that is pretty awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment