Friday, June 7, 2013

Because I Run



I feel young.
I eat dessert. 
I have super low blood pressure.
I can withstand the pressures of work.
I’ve seen gorgeous sunrises and peaceful sunsets.
I know where the official and ‘unofficial’ dog parks are.
I’ll probably live a bunch more years than I may even want to.
I know which day trash picks up in every neighborhood in Salem.
I can process my thoughts on death and dying and validate living.
I immediately know which new music I need to add to my running playlist.
I know every pothole that should be filled and every sidewalk that needs to be fixed.
I don’t have to worry if I’ll still fit into my clothes when I change the closet over for the season.
I realize the houses that don’t shovel are often the same ones that don’t cut their grass.
I know every new business that opens in Salem, and the ones that sadly leave.
I know which side streets speed traps should be posted on.
I can imitate the bird calls on the Salem/Marblehead trail.
I know which outdoor eating areas still welcome dogs.
I can tell when tourist season in Salem is full-on.
I know I’ll be glad I started once I finally finish. 
I can lift things up that weigh more than me.
My legs look 20 years younger than my face.
I know what it’s like to set a challenging goal.
I know how good it feels to achieve it.
I know what bombs sound like.
I know how healing feels.
I feel  strong.
I feel alive.
Because I run.

No comments:

Post a Comment