Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Impact of A Life

Watching the spectacle that was Michael Jackson’s life and death made me pause to think about the impact of each of our lives. What is it that causes the world to stop and mourn one person, while so many other quiet heroes are laid to rest with little fanfare but no less impact on those around them? Our lives intersect many others in our lifetime, and those meetings and moments have the potential to change us forever. Some of the simplest gestures of kindness or a well-placed word of comfort can be as influential as any grand gesture. Here are just a few of my remembrances of special people who influenced my life in ways they may never have realized.
The first is Danny P. Danny and I worked together in the sales department of the Salem Evening News. Danny was all goodness- he loved life, and loved everyone who was part of his life. He could spin a bad day into something to be thankful for and his happiness was contagious. He was well known for his streak of consecutive Boston Marathons, so it was no surprise when I bumped into him and his ever-present smile in 2003 when I ran my first Boston Marathon. I was picking up my number, nervous and excited, giddy yet unsettled. After a warm hug, I related to Danny the story of my brother Stephen and why I was running. He said very sincerely "I know this about your brother- he has the best sister in the world and is so proud of you right now, and so am I." Simple words from a beautiful soul that made me smile throughout those 26.2 marathon miles. Danny never mentioned he was fighting his own long battle with cancer, which he would succumb to several years later. This past April as I prepared to run my 10th marathon to complete a personal goal, Danny’s Mass card fell out of a photo album. There he was with his life is good grin and Hawaiian shirt, and I was reminded once again that genuine and unselfish kindness truly can change the world in many small ways.
Another memorable personality in my life was Professor "C". His weather class at Salem State College was THE elective class to take. With his giant personality and booming voice he would draw you in from the first second to the last, and like a good movie, you would sometime feel a little sad that it was over. I can still see him at the start of class, his back turned waiting for us to be seated. Then he would suddenly and dramatically turn around and scream the topic of the day "CLOUDS" so loud you’d fly off your seat. Working in the Academic Affairs office, we became friendly and I looked up to him as a mentor. He entrusted me as Registrar for a national conference he was organizing, and despite my nervousness and uncertainty in this huge undertaking, he gently guided and encouraged me. He gave me just enough space to do it on my own, without deserting me if I needed help. That gentle balance between independence and guidance is one I try to maintain with my coworkers today, and has been the cornerstone of my management philosophy. Professor C’s wife passed away suddenly, and he followed not long after. I can’t help but think that he passed on in the same sudden manner that he used to open his classes, and that I am only one of many who remain influenced by his larger than life and death personality.
As Executive Director of our professional newspaper organization, my friend Morley has a Dick Clark sort of agelessness. Tall, stately and distinguished, he was an ever-present consultant and advisor for our classified group. Although I have known him for over 20 years and almost as many hair styles, the years have left Morley relatively unchanged.
Although he seemed a bit stoic and intimidating at first, if you looked closely there was a gleam in his eye that suggested a life of unspoken experiences. With his dry humor, he would add the phrase "for the good of the order" to the end of every meeting agenda, despite the fact that no one knew what the heck it meant, except Morley who would snicker when we read it. He was well known for signing his notes with the simple phase ‘Onward’. Years ago, I received a copy of an article that ran in the local newspaper regarding my speech to students at Salem High School about drunk driving, with a personal note from Morley that simply said "Well done- Onward". Years later, I discovered Morley knew all too well what my family was going through when I found out he had lost his son who had been paralyzed in an auto accident. A war veteran who participated the Normandy invasion, Morley’s simple "Onward" phrase captured the essence of his life’s force in that one simple word, a word I still use as a mantra to push beyond the obstacles and tragedies that threaten to obstruct our life’s path.
I feel grateful that the length of this article forces me to choose just a few individuals who impacted my life from a long list, a testimony to the importance each of us has in the world. Think of those who have impacted your life, and realize you have the potential to be that person for someone else. Our lives are intertwined in ways we can never fully realize, except for our faith that tells us we each have a purpose here on earth, either by our own actions or what we inspire in those we meet along the way.
Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment